Monday, April 20, 2015

A moment on Monday April 20, 2015

Hello everyone!  I hope this finds you all doing well.  I feel like we're about to be blown away out here in the country.  The wind sure is a blowin.  But at least we've gotten some much needed rain and the wind is drying off the roads so it's not so hard to drive.  All is well.

 
I've been busy since I last visited.  Lots of procrastination!  Do any of you have a section of a project that you really don't like to do?  Some people it's the binding and some hate to cut out the pieces. Me, I don't like b o r d e r s!  You all know what I'm talking about.  It's probably one of the easiest steps to do but......I'd rather sew on a binding, rather cut out an entire quilt top than sew on borders.  I've been trying to talk myself out of being so hard on myself for this.  You know it doesn't make me a bad person or anything.  I eventually get the borders on, but not without a lot of procrastination and frustration!  I sewed three fourths of the border on one side before I realized I was out of bobbin!  (I just hate it when that happens.)  (plus the border had to be pinned on all the way)  Anyway....enough of that.  In spite of all the extra time spent, I still managed to get that Love Hate quilt finished and almost ready for the quilters.  (I call it my Love Hate quilt because I kept waffling back and forth on liking it.)  I did end up liking it just fine.  Now I'm working on the backing, piecing a strip to off set down theback side for some added interest.   And that's another thing.  When did this happen?  Remember the day when the backing didn't matter so much?  You either used bleached muslin or unbleached.  No big deal.  I've seen quilts recently that the backs are pieced almost as pretty as the top! (I'm not making this up)

I was able to get into the shop this week and had lots of fun.  Getting things ready for the Mardi and Me club and my Bag Class in June.  Finally Theresa and I were able to come up with a date for the bag class.  We have kits cut out for this bag or  the Bathing Beauties.  Should be a lot of fun!

 
It seems like I've done a lot of ranting today.  But for some reason I feel a lot better.  :)    
 
I wish you all the very best, until next time,
Happy quilting,
Nancy




2 comments:

  1. Well Nancy I agree with you. I love making the tops and do not mind the border... It is the quilting that seems to get in the way for me. I started in the quilting hobby after retirement in 1999 and I too remember when the back was not such a big deal. I make a lot of my quilts to enter into Quilt Shows and it is imperative now that one makes the back as pretty as the front. It started because the quilter (either long arm or domestic) wanted to hide their stitches for the Judges. NOW it has become a point to either win or lose a Ribbon. AND it certainly adds to the cost of making the quilts as expensive as the fabric is. Oops... Tried to make it short, but you hit a sore point with me on this one too. Nice quilt. Nanette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nanette, Thanks for your comment. I'm impressed you make quilts for shows. That is something I have thought of doing at least once in my life. It's interesting that the backs are such an important factor of a show quilt, or I should say of any quilt. I think we all get a little caught up in the backing more and more. I would love to hear more about your quilts.
    Nancy
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete